Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sick

I think Nina is sick. She can't tell me so, of course, but she's been rather pale the past few days and seems to have a hard time keeping up like she usually does. It's tricky to figure out what might be wrong, since not only does she not talk but she doesn't seem to understand or want to communicate what actually feels wrong. Normally she communicates quite a lot even without words, but she won't even hint at what's bothering her.

I bought a thermometer to check her temperature but she refuses to let me bring it near her. Instead, I tried putting a hand on her forehead, and she felt a bit cool, but I'm not exactly good at judging what temperature a person's supposed to be-I've never had reason to pick up that particular skill. I picked up children's Tylenol to try to help-if she does have a fever or if she's having trouble with headaches or muscle aches or anything along those lines it would do her some good, but she won't take that either.

I don't have any way to take her to a doctor, and considering she's not actually my child I can't take her to the ER. If she was a runaway, she might get sent back to whatever she ran away from, and if she was kidnapped... well, that would make me the primary suspect.

I'm not sure what to do. I may have to risk the ER if she gets any worse, but I'm hoping I don't have to go that far.

4 comments:

  1. Does she have a cough, is she eating, does she sleep a lot? If there is a fever, it can also be spotted by a flushed face and increased sweating in a outside temperature that wouldn't normally cause that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't have a cough, she's eating more than usual, and she is sweating quite a great deal.

      Delete
    2. I'm not a doctor, so all I can say is damp cloth on the forehead, rest, staying out of bright light, lots of water, a bucket just in case vomiting starts happening and of course you have the Tylenol. Hopefully it's just a minor bug she can throw off, or sunstroke.

      Delete
    3. That doesn't sound like shes sick. Those don't sound like symptoms with a core bodily cause and she seems to know it young as she may be.

      Sweating and Eating are psychological reactions to stressful situations.

      Delete